Serves 1 - 2 Prep time 45 mins
You've got to like onions and garlic a lot for this one but then this is the Garlic Farm website and you wouldn't be here if you didn't would you?
Completely delicious and unique. Send us your feedback!
- 1 large onion (peeled)
- 1-2 cloves Isle of Wight Smoked Garlic (finely diced)
- 2 oz Basmati Rice (boiled)
- 1 rasher smoked Bacon (finely sliced into strips) (optional)
- 1 Flat Cap Mushroom (finely diced)
- Handful of flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- Groundnut Oil for frying
- 2 oz Grated Mature Cheddar
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to GM4 180°C (This will take at least 15 minutes)
- Remove the top of the onion and scoop out the inside leaving ½ inch at the base.
- Chop up the scooped onion very finely.
- Preheat a sauté pan with the oil.
- Add the onion and fry on a medium heat until translucent.
- Add the garlic and combine for 1 minute.
- Add the bacon and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and mushrooms and combine for 3-4 minutes being careful not to brown.
- Remove from the heat, add the parsley and season to taste.
- Place hollowed onion on a baking tray (if it won't stand up then take a little slice from the bottom) and fill with the stuffing mixture.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Pop the top back on pushing down if necessary (it will probably be necessary!)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the onion. (Reduce cooking time for fan assisted ovens).
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 4-5 minutes (believe me this is necessary if you don't want to take the skin off your mouth!)
- Serve with a reduced Balsamic dressing and a mixed leaf salad.
- This is not a recipe for Valentine's Day! unless you are both having it but it makes a FABULOUS starter. Happy cooking.
< Back to all Recipes