Serves 6 Prep time 2 hrs 45 mins
From the Garlic Farm Cookbook:
"This takes time but not so much effort. It just needs you to be hanging around in the kitchen doing other things and occasionally giving it a stir but the result is so worth it and you can make as much as your pan will hold and freeze what is not consumed."
- 4 large onions, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- A bulb of garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- A big bunch of fresh herbs, chopped - parsley, sage, rosemary, chives, fennel fonds, tarragon
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1kg minced beef
- 1 pack good quality sausages, meat only
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 large glasses of red wine
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- Put onions and fennel seeds in casserole with knob of butter and drizzle of olive oil - cover and allow to slowly sweat and caramelise on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Roast carrots and whole garlic cloves at 200°C once caramelised add to casserole.
- Remove sausage meat from skins and brown in batches together with the mince, and add to the casserole.
- Add crushed garlic and tomato purée, simmer 5-10 mins stirring regularly.
- Then add the red wine and allow it to bubble and reduce.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes and bouillon. Stir well and allow to simmer with lid on for one hour
- Remove lid and simmer for a further hour (stirring regularly), until the Bolognese is rich and delicious.
< Back to all Recipes