Serves 4-6 Prep time 2 1/4 hours
This one's from the Garlic Farm Cookbook.
The classic chicken with 40 cloves never fails to please. This is a slight variation which makes an entire meal in one pot. Of course, you can use as many cloves as you want so don't hold back. Do make sure you get a good quality free range chicken.
This is a brilliant one pot rustic dinner party dish, full of flavour and nutrition.
- 1 large free range chicken
- 500g brown rice
- 1 glass white wine
- Chopped parsley, bay leaves, thyme
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, diced
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Peeled cloves from 3-4 bulbs of garlic- more if you like
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Pour rice into a large casserole and stir in parsley, onions, carrots, bacon and lemon zest.
- Place the chicken on top and pour over the garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Season well.
- Squeeze the lemons on top of the chicken and pop the skins in to the cavity of the chicken.
- Pour the wine over the rice and add enough water to cover the rice by 2cm.
- Cover and place low in the oven for 1 ½ hours then remove the lid for the last half hour to brown the chicken and garlic.
< Back to all Recipes