Serves 6 Prep time 35 mins
A twist on an all time classic. This cauliflower cheese recipe uses butternut squash and smoked garlic to turn it into a great meat-free meal all in itself. Use a veggie alternative to Parmesan to make this a 100% vegetarian meal. This was from Charlie, the chef in our own restaurant, and was a huge hit.
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 large butternut squash peeled, deseeded cut into chunks
- 1 pint single cream
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 100g dry Parmesan and 300g mature cheddar, grated (use vegetarian alternative to Parmesan if you wish)
- 1 bulb smoked garlic, finely diced
- Roast squash in oven until golden and boil cauliflower until just soft.
- In a heavy based pan bring single cream to the boil adding a teaspoon of English mustard (or to taste), garlic and most of the Parmesan and cheddar, simmer gently.
- Mix 1 tbsp of cornflour with 4 tbsp of cold water, add to sauce, and season to taste.
- Stir through cauliflower and squash.
- Sprinkle over remaining cheese, place under hot grill until golden.
- Serve with rocket, Isle of Wight tomatoes.
< Back to all Recipes