Serves 4 - 6 Prep time 1 1/2 hours
From the Garlic Farm Cookbook: "About a decade ago I lived in Paris for a few years, sharing an apartment with a lovely Canadian girl, Laura Calder, who was writing a cookery book called French Food at Home. I had the pleasure of taste-testing many of her recipes, and when I gave her smoked garlic from the farm to try, she went crazy about it, developing a smoked garlic dauphinoise for her book. Since it's hard to say if smoked garlic has any health benefits, you can substitute it with ordinary garlic if you wish – it adds a great flavour too."
- 1kg of waxy firm potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500ml of full cream milk or mixed milk with cream
- 6 fat cloves of oak-smoked garlic
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 50g of butter
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC. Lay half the sliced potato in an oven-proof dish. Cover with a layer of seasoning then grate the garlic cloves on top.
- Tip the rest of the potato slices into the dish; spreading them out evenly. Season again then pour over the milk and cream.
- Bake until all the liquid has been absorbed and the top has browned, usually about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
< Back to all Recipes