Spinach & garlic vegan crêpes
These spinach and garlic crêpes make a delicious and satisfying vegan meal, filled with garlicky mushrooms or your own favourite garlic-enhanced filling, such as roasted vegetables, smashed avocado, lentil dhal, or smoked tofu with tomatoes. Omnivores might enjoy a smoked salmon and sour cream accompaniment to these vibrant crêpes, which are a healthy and colourful alternative to traditional pancakes. Our own Sea-Salt with Garlic condiment is a quick and easy way to boost the flavour of savoury pancakes, and can be added to the batter or at the table afterwards.
Ingredients for 8 crêpes
- 100g spinach leaves
- 100ml boiling water
- 200ml oat milk - or try soya or almond milk if you prefer
- 200g plain flour
- 1tbsp coconut oil, plus extra for frying
- 1tsp olive oil
- garlic sea salt
- 400g button mushrooms, sliced finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1tbsp tahini
- 2tbsp water
- 1tsp lemon juice
To make the crêpes:
- First of all, make 250ml of spinach juice by pouring the boiling water onto the spinach leaves in a bowl or blender, and blitz - a stick-blender also works well with this small quantity of spinach. Check that you have 250ml of spinach juice; if less, repeat this step until you have the correct quantity.
- Combine the oat milk with the spinach juice, then sift the flour over the liquid and mix well to combine.
- Add both the oils and a generous sprinkling of freshly ground garlic sea-salt, then whisk together so that you have a smooth batter. If it feels too thick at this point, add a little more oat milk - you want the batter to have a pouring consistency, without being runny.
- When you are ready to cook the crêpes, heat a skillet or frying pan and grease it with a little coconut or olive oil (a silicone brush is a useful tool to ensure the whole surface is well oiled). The secret to perfect crêpes is having a sizzling hot pan to cook them in, so wait until the surface is starting to steam, then pour in a dollop of the spinach batter and spread it across the frying pan to create thin, circular crêpes. Cook for two minutes on each side, sliding a spatula gently beneath the pancake to flip it over.
- Keep the pancakes warm while you make the filling, separating each crêpe with some parchment paper so they don't stick together.
- In a clean pan, fry the sliced mushrooms with a little olive oil until they soften and begin to brown; add the crushed garlic and some seasoning and combine well.
- Fill each crêpe with the cooked mushrooms, and roll up.
- Combine the dressing ingredients if using, and drizzle over each crêpe to serve.