Black Garlic Butter Scallops
Garlic Butter with Black Garlic accentuates the mild, sweetness of scallops in the most perfect marriage of flavours. You need little else to create a sumptuous starter - or try serving a few scallops on a bed of risotto for an impressive main course. Scallops are quick and easy to barbecue, or you can pop them under a hot grill if you prefer.
Fresh scallops are available from fishmongers or fish counters in larger supermarkets during the summer months. If they are not sold in their shells, ask your fishmonger to give you the scallop shells separately, as these make an ideal platform to barbecue them on. If you buy scallops still attached to their shells, you will need to prepare them before cooking - this involves carefully separating the scallop meat from the shell, and removing its black stomach sac (this helpful video shows you how).
- 2-3 large, fresh scallops per person, and their shells
- Garlic Butter with Black Garlic - 1 tablespoon per scallop
- Shallot, finely chopped
- Capers, drained and chopped - 2-3 tablespoons, or to taste
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Bunch of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Ciabatta or similar crusty bread to serve
- Light your barbecue and, while the charcoal is reaching the optimum temperature to cook on, prepare the scallops.
- Scoop a tablespoon of Black Garlic Butter into each scallop shell, and lay a scallop over the butter.
- Once your barbecue is hot, place the shells onto the barbecue grill, ensuring they lay flat so that the butter doesn't drip off as it melts.
- After the scallops have been cooking for two minutes, use tongs to carefully turn them over, and cook for a further two-three minutes.
- (If grilling, place under a hot grill for five minutes)
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Serve scallops in their shells (but remember the shells will be very hot!), and pour over the capers, parsley and lemon juice mixture. Have some crusty bread on hand to mop up the delicious buttery juices.
- If serving on risotto, try our recipe for black garlic mushroom risotto here.