Serves 4 Prep time 25 mins
Black garlic is the latest phenomenon in the world of gourmet cuisine but it works brilliantly in simple dishes too. If you have not tried black garlic yet this simple risotto recipe is a great place to start.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves black garlic, chopped
- 250g chestnut and shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 300g Arborio rice
- 1 large glass white wine
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- Large handful of parsley, chopped
- 50g parmesan or other strong hard cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy based pan, heat the oil and melt the butter together over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry gently for about five minutes.
- Add the chopped black garlic and stir well.
- Keeping the pan on the heat, tip in the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper then cook for another five minutes.
- Now add the rice and stir well to coat adding a little more butter to loosen if necessary.
- Pour in the wine and cook until it has evapourated to nothing.
- Keep the pan over a medium heat then gradually add the stock stirring constantly adding more stock each time all the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue until the rice becomes tender and the risotto has a creamy texture.
- Add half the cheese and half the parsley and stir through.
- Now serve with the remaining cheese and parsley scattered on top.
< Back to all Recipes