Black Garlic energy balls
It's hard to believe just how tasty these black garlic bites are, when you realise they are not only vegan, gluten-free and paleo, but processed sugar-free too! The sweetness comes from the liquorice-like black garlic and dates, as well as carrots and a hint of orange. They make a delicious, healthy snack, and a perfect way to up your daily garlic intake. You will need a food processor for this recipe, but no cooking or baking is required, so once you've whizzed everything up, your energy balls are almost ready to eat!
Ingredients for about 18 energy balls
- 130g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 50g nuts - we used hazelnuts for a Nutella-esque flavour, but you can substitute with your favourites
- 165g Medjool Dates, stoned and chopped
- 7 Black garlic cloves
- zest from 1/2 orange
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- handful of desiccated coconut
- Whizz the chopped carrots and hazelnuts in a food processor until they are finely mixed
- Add all the remaining ingredients, bar the coconut flakes, and mix again until it forms a well-combined dough.
- Transfer the mix into a bowl and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Once chilled, scoop out spoonfuls of dough and roll into balls.
- Finally, coat energy balls in desiccated coconut and chill before eating.