Paddy's garlic and curry pie
Serves 4 Prep time 1 hr 25 mins
Paddy Bradshaw, our brilliant grandmother, used to cook in a good old-fashioned English style. We've done our best to recreate this classic of hers, although we know that only our Gran could give this pie that special something.
- 750g minced beef
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 150ml beef stock
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 apple chopped
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- One packet ready-to-roll puff pastry
- Sauté the onions and garlic in oil.
- Brown the mince and then add in the chopped carrot, apple, tomato puree, herbs and curry powder.
- Stir in a tablespoon of flour and cook for one minute, then add the beef stock and simmer covered for approximately 30 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Line a greased pie dish with the pastry, leaving enough pastry to cover the top of the pie.
- Spoon in the filling evenly and cover with remaining pastry, crimping the edges, prick the top and brush with a beaten egg yolk and bake for approx. 25-30 minutes at 200°C.