Roasted wood pigeon and mango salsa
Serves 4 Prep time 35 - 40 mins
We're lucky enough to have our pigeons shot locally by our tractor driver Kev but if your butcher doesn't get them in from time to time then have a word with the local farmer.
- 4 wood pigeons crowns, cleaned
- 1 large mango, peeled & chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely diced
- 2 red chillies, finely diced
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 slices of orange
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 175ºC. Season pigeon crowns, to taste.
- Heat a little oil & butter in frying pan, fry crowns, skin-side down, turning frequently, until browned.
- Sprinkle over demerara sugar and place a slice of orange on to the skin side of the pigeon.
- Roast in oven for 4-6 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Mix together the mango, spring onions, red chillies, coriander, lime juice and zest until well combined.
- To serve remove pigeon breasts from crown and slice, arrange over the mango salsa.