Smoked Garlic, Mascarpone and Tomato Tortellini
- 250g fresh Tortellini stuffed with spinach
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves smoked garlic
- 1 small can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bag spinach, washed
- 50ml milk
- 4 to 6 fresh basil leaves
- 80g mascarpone cheese
- 80g parmesan, grated
- Pour a little olive oil in to a large sauce pan and sauté the onion until soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato puree, oregano and sauté for one minute, adding the tinned tomatoes and basil, simmer on a lower heat for around 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- In a small pan heat up 50ml of milk with the peeled smoked garlic cloves, do not let the milk boil. Once the milk has absorbed the smokey flavour of the garlic, and the garlic has softened, mashed the garlic and milk together to form a paste and add to the tomato sauce. Simmer the sauce for a further ten minutes.
- Using a stick blender, pulse the sauce until smooth.
- Stir in the raw spinach. Once this has wilted add the Parmesan and mascarpone.
- Season to taste.
- Boil the Tortellini according to packet instructions, drain and coat with all of the sauce.
- Serve with Parmesan shavings.