Serves 2 Prep time 35 mins
Green garlic and scapes have a very short season so it's important to make the most of them while they last. Here's a great way of getting both into one dish!
- 40g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallot, finely chopped
- 6 rashers pancetta, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb of green garlic, cloves peeled and halved lengthways
- 100g arborio rice
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 bag of washed spinach
- 1 bunch garlic scapes (or 1 leek), finely chopped
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 50g frozen green peas
- 6 tbsp grated parmesan
- In a pan melt two-thirds of the butter with the olive oil.
- Add the shallots, pancetta and green garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir thoroughly.
- Slowly add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring in between and allowing the rice to absorb the stock before adding the next ladleful.
- This will take about 10-12 minutes. Add the spinach and scapes/leek and stir.
- Add the lime juice and peas. Check the rice and add a little more water if needed.
- Cook for a few minutes stirring continuously, until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the cheese and the remaining knob of butter and serve immediately.
< Back to all Recipes